Rezidor's debut - The Royal Copenhagen in Denmark, created together with the legendary Arne Jacobsen, was hailed as the world’s first designer hotel. This auspicious start marked the beginning of a collection of landmark properties and innovative designs that would define Rezidor with its dynamic portfolio of brands and hotels.
Rezidor's debut - The Royal Copenhagen in Denmark, created with the legendary Arne Jacobsen - was hailed as the worlds first designer hotel. This auspicious start marked the beginning of of a collection of landmark properties and innovations that would come to define Rezidor with its dynamic portfolio of brands and hotels.
- First hotel - SAS Royal Hotel, Copenhagen: created by Arne Jacobsen, hailed as the world's original designer hotel
- Kurt Ritter joins as General Manager of SAS International Hotel, Luleå, Sweden
- First hotel outside Scandinavia - Radisson SAS Hotel, Kuwait
- Kurt Ritter appointed President & Chief Executive Officer of SAS International Hotels (SIH)
- Head Office moves from Oslo to Brussels
- Rezidor puts in place a detailed Environmental Policy for the group
- Creation of Per Axel Brommesson Scholarship Fund for supporting development and further education of talented employees
- Project Win - a significant cost saving programme
- SIH enters into partnership with Carlson Hospitality Worldwide to create Radisson SAS
- Launch of "Yes I Can!" service philosophy
- Launch of Radisson SAS Management School
- First hotel company to go asset-light, divesting real estate to focus on hotel management
- Entry into Africa with the opening of Radisson SAS Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
- 100 hotels in successful operation - joining the big league!
- Joint Venture with MWB to operate Malmaison hotels: 6 hotels in operation and 3 under development in the UK
- Launch of Mentor Mentee Programme to develop future General Managers from within
- Launch of a complete Responsible Business programme
- Another Master Franchise Agreement with Carlson to develop and operate Country Inn, Park Inn & Regent hotels in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA)
- Birth of Rezidor SAS Hospitality
- Termination of agreement with MWB on Malmaison hotels
- Kurt Ritter wins the Corporate Hotelier of the Year Award by HOTELS magazine
- Loss making year: downturn due to the impact of 9/11, terrorist threats and SARS on the global economy
- Another turnaround! Results back to black!
- Kurt Ritter receives the Lifetime Achievement Award by IHIF (International Hospitality Investment Forum, Berlin)
- Rezidor launches Hotel Missoni as a new lifestyle brand under a worldwide License Agreement with the Italian fashion house of the same name
- Carlson buys 25% shares in Rezidor from SAS
- Kurt Ritter celebrates 30 years with Rezidor: 17 years as the CEO
- 3 small letters, 1 big event - IPO! Rezidor is listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange. Carlson stake increases to 35%
- A new name, a new era - The Rezidor Hotel Group
- Carlson becomes the largest shareholder with 42%
- SAS divests all stakes in Rezidor
- Record breaking growth in new signings: 54 new hotels with 12,600 rooms
- 2nd largest pipeline in Europe
- Largest international hotel operator in Russia & CIS
- Rezidor is Number 1 on HVS European Corporate Governance Ranking
- Radisson SAS ranks the highest scoring brand in upper upscale segment (BDRC)
- Kurt Ritter receives his second lifetime achievement award at the Worldwide Hospitality Awards by MKG Group
- Credit Crunch turns into one of the most severe economic crisis in the world since the great depression: Launch of Rezidor's "Hedging for Turbulence", one of the industry's most significant cost-saving programmes, with target of MEUR 30 annual reduction in spending
- Radisson SAS becomes Radisson Blu
- Park Inn ranks highest on J.D. Power and Associates European Hotel Guest Satisfaction Index Study
- Rezidor opens Europe's largest Wine Tower at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport
- First Hotel Missoni opens in Edinburgh to great acclaim
- Another record-breaking year of new hotel openings - despite the recession
- Kurt Ritter receives Honorary Doctorate from Oxford Brookes University
- Rezidor's Corporate Website ranks 2nd Best in Europe by Hallvarsson & Halvarsson
- Radisson Blu becomes Number 1: the Largest Upscale Hotel Brand in Europe, as per MKG
- Park Inn becomes Park Inn by Radisson
- Rezidor celebrates 50 years Golden Jubilee together with Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Copenhagen
- Major deal with the biggest hotel chain in the Baltics: Reval Hotels to be rebranded and managed by Rezidor
- Carlson and Rezidor sell Regent brand to Formosa International Hotels Corporation, Taiwan
- Carlson launches its Ambition 2015 strategy aiming at global alignment of Radisson brand
- Rezidor named one of the Most Ethical Companies of the World by Ethisphere Institute
- One of the World's Most Ethical Companies for 2nd year in a row
- Radisson Blu wins Best Hotel Chain in Scandinavia at Business Travel Awards
- Rezidor and Radisson Blu win Best National & International Hotel Chain in Sweden and Norway at the Grand Travel Awards
- Rezidor's entire Middle East portfolio becomes Green Key certified
- Carlson announces the U.S. debut of Radisson Blu by opening of Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, Chicago
- Launch of dynamic new partnership with Carlson Hotels to create the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group: two great companies join forces to leverage their significant synergies and go to market to do business together: 1+1=3...
- Now the 10th Largest Hotel Company in the World with a fantastic portfolio of more than 1,300 hotels in 80 countries and a great set of global brands: Radisson Blu, Radisson, Country Inns & Suites By Carlson, Park Inn by Radisson, Hotel Missoni and Park Plaza
- Trudy Rautio, appointed as Carlson's new President and CEO
- Launch of revitalised DO! Living Our Values: Being Host. Living Trust. Fighting Z-Pirit
- Launch of Think Planet, designed to reduce our energy consumption by 25% over the next 5 years
- Launch of SAS credits partnership
- Radisson Edwardian Hotels rebranded as Radisson Blu, bring the total number of Radisson Blu hotels in the key UK market to 40
- Rezidor named as The World's Most Ethical Hotel Company for the third consecutive year
- Radisson Blu's exciting new global locations are vigorously promoted by Turning the World Blu - the brand's first globally coordinated, integrated $7 million marketing campaign - resulting in more than 2 billion media impressions
- Launch of Project FIT: optimising key processes and associated costs - a major new initiative, designed to make us leaner, fitter and more agile
- Creation of two new innovative Meetings & Events Concepts: Experience Meetings for Radisson Blu and Smart Meetings for Park Inn by Radisson
- Unique new partnership between Rezidor and the French motor giants, Peugeot/Citröen for Yes I Can! training
- September sees a momentous milestone: after 36 years with the company, Rezidor's legendary President and CEO, Kurt Ritter, announces his retirement, naming COO Wolfgang M Neumann as his successor, with a 3 month transition period from January 1st 2013
- Rezidor says Welcome Back to the luxurious Regent brand with a long-term contract to develop and operate all new Regent hotels in Russia & CIS, the Baltics, the Middle East and Africa. Jointly with RHR, Rezidor will also create and run new Regent hotels in the rest of Europe
- The Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group named as Hotel Group of the Year at the Worldwide Hospitality Awards 2012 in Paris
- Rezidor's new corporate website is ranked the 2nd best in Europe Travel & Leisure sector, measured against 766 other major European companies by KWD Webranking
- Rezidor celebrates our most successful ever Responsible Business Month. 260 plus Carlson Rezidor Hotels raised more than 130,000 EUR cash and gave 310,000 EUR in kind for charity organisations
- Kurt Ritter receives an amazing third Lifetime Achievement Award at the European Hospitality Awards 2012. He is also made a member of the British Travel Industry Hall of Fame
- Launch of new Performance Management Process to help us ensure development from within and increase our organisational effectiveness
- Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow is named as Europe's Leading Luxury Business Hotel for a second year at the highly prestigious World Travel Awards
- An exciting new era: Wolfgang M Neumann takes over as Rezidor President and CEO
- Major announcement of a whole new, dynamic vision for Rezidor - 4D! DEVELOP talent; DELIGHT guests; DRIVE revenue, cost optimisation and profitable growth and DELIVER results!
- The world keeps turning Blu: Our iconic Radisson Blu success story goes increasingly global with 39 hotels in Asia Pacific
- Opening of the magnificent, 500-room Radisson Blu Mall of America in Minneapolis. Radisson Blu is now present in the world's greatest cities - including London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Dubai, Cape Town, Shanghai, Sydney and New Delhi
- Club Carlson becomes the first hotel loyalty programme to commit to global carbon offsetting initiative
- For the fourth year in a row, Rezidor is named as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies by US think-tank Ethisphere
- World's first designer hotel:
The Royal Copenhagen
- Building on our brilliant
- Michelin starred
The Rezidor Hotel Group's history began in 1960 when we opened our first contemporary hotel: the towering Royal Copenhagen, built by SAS airlines to satisfy the demand for luxury accommodation in the Danish capital. Styled down to the smallest detail by the legendary architect Arne Jacobsen, it was acclaimed as the world's first designer hotel. Many of the iconic pieces that Jacobsen specifically created for the hotel - including his famous Swan and Egg chairs - have become highly desirable collectables.
The Royal, as SAS's spectacular flagship property, became one of the world's most celebrated hotels throughout the 1960's and 70's, attracting Heads of State, major rock and film stars and a many other VIP guests - all greeted personally by the distinguished General Manager, Alberto Kappenberger.
The Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Copenhagen celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2010. For this anniversary, room 606 of our original property has been carefully re-created as a lounge in Copenhagen airport - a tribute to the unique Rezidor/Jacobsen contribution to modern design history.
This promising debut marked the start of the beginning of a collection of landmark hotels and innovations that would come to define Rezidor and its dynamic portfolio of brands and hotels. Rezidor's Yes I Can! culture has helped us to be stylish and innovative within hospitality with spectacular, ground breaking design and service concepts, as well as our attention to detail and a generous dash of the Z-factor: our passion for doing things differently.
Working with world-class names in architecture and design, Radisson Blu has gained universal acclaim for its dynamic breed of spectacular properties, including:
- The Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt - with its amazing, circular glass façade
- The Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich – where acrobatic angels glide up and down the world's tallest and most beautiful wine tower to retrieve guests' wine orders
- The Radisson Blu Hotel, Berlin – with its enthralling, super-sized aquarium in the lobby
- The sleekly and minimalist Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan Hotel, in Paris
- The fantastic Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow, an iconic landmark in the heart of the Russian capital. One of Stalin's legendary Seven Sisters, built to showcase Soviet Neo-classicism architecture.
Rezidor's values have helped us to achieve spectacular growth and create our dynamic, multi-brand portfolio: our newest being Radisson RED, created to push the boundaries of technology and design. Radisson RED aims to connect with that ageless, millennial mindset and show that hotels can enhance their world via art, music, fashion and a distinctive connection.
Rezidor's ongoing passion for delivering world-class hospitality and innovative service concepts are put to the test in our supreme fine dining in superbly stylish surroundings:
- The Sea Grill restaurant at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels - headed by Executive Chef Yves Mattagne - is acclaimed as one of Belgium's finest restaurants. Mattagne’s' elegant and meticulously crafted menu has earned two highly prestigious Michelin stars, along with a host of other leading culinary awards.
- The Alcron at the Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel, Prague is home to Roman Paulus – known as one of the most talented chefs in the Czech Republic. With gourmet dishes, beautiful surroundings and courteous staff, The Alcron truly promises an unforgettable evening. The Alcron been awarded the Michelin Star annually from 2012 - 2015.